Saturday, August 1, 2009

Should Games JUST be Fun?

Photobucket

Note: Its not the subject matter that is mature but the fact that there is one "F-bomb" tossed out that might be objectionable to parents.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------






... If you watched the video above, that was David Jeffe from "Eat Sleep Play" studios. He has directed some pretty big (non-Nintendo) games such as, "God of War" and "Twisted Metal Black". I wanted to know what all of you think about that video because I'm beginning to ask myself, this question. "What is it that stops developers from being able to make a artsy game or for the audience to accept said game?" There has been a lot of debate over the years about games pushing the boundaries of its medium. While I do agree that some games should take their-selves more seriously and try to invoke more emotion out of the player, there is no doubt that "fun" games are just as important. I guess the key to a healthy gaming industry and gamer is balance. Personally, I try to balance my library. I have games that are just plain goofy and fun like "Dance Dance Revolution" and "Wii Sports Resort" but, I also have games that are serious and are about the story, "Metroid Prime 3: Corruption" or "Resident Evil 4". What is it people? Should developers start making more artsy games or more serious games? Should developers just focus on the fun factor? What do you think is the key to sucess for the industry?

No comments:

Post a Comment